Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11

A lot of buzz online today is about remember eight years ago. Two things come blazing back into my mind. First, a student, Brett, came into my office and said we probably shouldn't have chorus because the country was under attack. I laughed, as the trying to get out of chorus is an age-old joke, and then turned on the TV. Soon after, one of the most annoying students said, "Bet it was Osama Bin Laden". WAY before anyone on TV had made that guess.

The other thing I remember was going to my wife's school Homecoming game which came at the end of that fateful week. There was much talk around the state as to whether there would even be football games on Friday. . . But, it was Homecoming and the world had been encouraged to get back to normal (though all of us who lived through that have been forever changed). During the pre-game, the school had arranged for fireworks to go off during the National Anthem. I have to admit, I had a serious case of goosebumps when the first set of fireworks blazed through the sky as the band played, "and the rockets red glare."

What was most amazing was that after the game, there was another set of fireworks. The sound system was blaring music and, near the end, the song "God Bless the USA" played. Well, if you know me, you know I am not much into the country music or the twangy voices, but all around me, kids were singing along. There was lots of hugging and standing arm-in-arm and it seemed that the majority of the crowd was swept up in the moment.

Tonight is Homecoming at my wife's school....September 11.

No comments: