Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections on another leg of the journey

For the past two days I have been reading a bunch of year end blogs and articles...I have decided to not jump onto the bandwagon...because I am not calling this the yearly wrap up...just a resting spot on the journey.....semantics are our friend.

As I look back, one thought keeps clubbing me over the head.....I am blessed. I have shared many of these thoughts in different posts, but will combine a few tonight. My last blog post shared my journey with FableVision and that has been more of a blessing than I think I deserve, but I won't dwell on that again.

Blessed...I have a wonderful wife who is my best supporter and friend.

Blessed...Through Facebook, I have reconnected with a bunch of former students and that has been SO rewarding for me. It's an amazing and heady thing to be a temporary fixture in a child's life. It's beyond belief for remnants of that experience to last for 23+ years. I love my students and I love the part of my job that involves students (I could never go to another meeting and be a very happy person). The fact that a few of those students I devoted so much time and, yes, love to have granted me the greatest joy of keeping me in their lives. I promise I smile every time one of those special people pops into my timeline. Every one of them owns a special place in my heart. Another thrill is to watch the previously mentioned students grow up and have families and real jobs and successful lives. Not that I have ever doubted it would happen, but because it is absolutely a thrill to watch.

Blessed...One thing I don't think I ever saw coming was that I would also have a tiny place in the lives of my wife's students. Though they weren't MY students, there is a special place in my heart for them also. Hearing of their successes in life is a joy. I also have heard that one current student reads this blog from time to time. Though I can't imagine why, it is very sweet. I think that student knows how very special they are.

Blessed...My online friends are also a great source of joy and kindness. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few in real life and have never been disappointed. It's interesting to be able to read the musings of other educators and knowing that some of the feelings I have are shared around the country. I have found a few brothers and sisters in spirit and that has been very rewarding.

Blessed...OK, I admit that I misled you earlier. I do have to mention my Fable friends again. . . Despite my best efforts to let the last blog post be the final part of the story, there is so much more. Small people like to say to me, "It's all in who you know" in response to some amazing thing that has happened because of my Fable connections. Well, I disagree with that. It's really all in the HEART of the people you know. There is a story that involves the amazing Janet Reynolds (manager of Dedham Blue Bunny) that absolutely blew me away. I don't want to share the story because I am afraid some of the people involved might be inundated with requests, but I can tell you that the act of love and kindness on the behalf of a kid that no one in Boston knew, brought tears to my eyes and to this day warms my heart. Knowing good people makes you blessed every day. By the way, it's Janet's birthday as I am writing this...If you read this, Happy Birthday, Janet!

Blessed...Current students! I am positive they will never read this, but they make my job worth having. It was a rough start to the year, but soon, the kids stepped up and have made it a joyful year.

Blessed in so many ways. This part of the journey has been blessed...thanks for sharing it with me!

1 comment:

Lori Feldman said...

It was a pleasure to meet you face to face at NECC in DC. Being a part of your PLN (Professional Learning Network) has been an opportunity to learn from someone who truly cares about education. Not just for students, but for professionals as well. I look forward to another year of new opportunities for growth. Thank you for your willingness to share your thoughts!