Friday, October 31, 2008

Darius Goes West --- Part Two

A few months ago, I blogged about a YouTube video I had watched on the advice of Karen Janowski. It was about a young man who had taken a journey from Georgia (starting in Florida) to California to try to get on MTV and have West Coast Customs 'pimp' his wheelchair. I immediately ordered the DVD.

I finally had a chance to watch the movie and I can tell you that my life will be forever changed. Darius is an amazing young man who faces a very tough past and tougher future. What you see is the journey across the country filled with smiles and laughter. What could be a sad and depressing movie is uplifting. OK, I will admit it, I was moved to tears on several occasions. I am not a person who cries easily...but it is THAT wonderful. The 'Crew' take Darius for his first swim in the ocean and on some amazing experiences. The 'crew' are an amazing bunch of guys that anyone would be proud to know. The unparalleled passion these men have for life and for their journey is refreshing.

If I had to characterize the biggest change in the 23 years I have been teaching, it would be that kids do not have a lot of passion about things in the world. What blew me away about the boys in this video is their amazing passion for their cause. With every DVD purchase $17.00 of the $20.oo video will go to finding a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Darius and friends are trying to sell one million DVD's in one year.

Please check out the Darius Goes West website and store. Buy a DVD...Host a party...Share the passion for life. Probably the most touching thing about this story is that Darius knows that this effort will not help him. . . It will undoubtedly be too late. But it is not too late to put a stop to this disgusting disease for future generations.

I promise if you watch the video and support the cause....Your life will be changed....and you can change the life for generations to come.

Darius Goes West. One Year. One Million DVDs.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo TJ,
Sam Johnson here, from DGW--I'm the kid who gets the tattoo in the film when we get out to Cali.

Thank you for the (2nd) thoughtful write-up! I especially love your phrasing "Share the passion for life." The twelve of us in the original crew can't possibly sell a million DVDs this year alone. Thanks so much for understanding that, and helping us to "share the passion."
SAMJ
PS: Can I steal that line??

TJ Shay said...

SamJ,

Thank you for taking the time respond to my blog. I can't express how moved I am by what you all did. I believe Darius was lucky to have great people like you to help with his journey...I think that we are ALL lucky to have Darius.

My friend, Peter H. Reynolds, wrote an amazing book called, "The North Star." The book is all about following your own journey. (You can read it online at http://fablevision.com/northstar). You all had an amazing journey and I am glad that we all get to be a part of the next one....The Journey to One Million DVDs!

You may steal "Share the passion" line with my blessing!

Anonymous said...

... a lack of passion ...

It is a pity that this is a phenomenon not only among learners - passion is also sadly lacking among (some) educators.

Lets get the passion back!