I am demonstrating the Highlighter application on the webpage "The Wall" which is one of the most amazing websites I have seen lately. It features the Vietnam Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
It includes a searchable database of soldiers on the Wall. Selecting a soldier (this one was at random) you can learn the soldier's hometown and other information.
Important statistics about the site (from the site):
Facts about The Interactive Wall
- At full size, The Wall image on Footnote is about 460 feet wide (400,000 pixels wide by 12,500 pixels tall).
- We found 58,320 names inscribed on The Wall.
- There are about 70 names which are duplicates or misspellings.
- 8 names are women.
- 2,056 are listed as "body not recovered."
- Average age is 22.8 years old.
- 6,301 images were photographed by Peter Krogh
- Darren Higgins used six computers to stitch 1,494 images into a single 5 gigapixel image of The Wall.
Coming tomorrow: The results of the Culture Sharing Comment-a-thon!!!