Monday, December 23, 2013

The Best Books I Read in 2013-revised again

I've been seeing "Best" lists all over and I thought instead of just mentioning the ones that 'got it wrong,' I'd do my own list. All of these books stayed with me after I read them. If you don't know me very well, that's truly amazing (very short memory) These are in no particular order. Nearly everyone on this list created a Celebridot, check them out and support them!! www.celebridots.com

The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi Appelt. This is a fun and sweet book.

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. I made a decision that I'd only support authors who created Celebridots...so I asked Holly to make a dot and then bought her book (twice)

Seven Stories Up by Laurel Snyder (not technically out yet, but I read it this year) Available January 28. A truly thought-provoking book. What if a few events changed everything???

Crankenstein by Samantha Berger illustrated by Dan Santat. Super fun with great illustrations.

Beholding Bee By Kimberly Newton Fusco. I heard so much about this book, I had to buy it. It's so great! It really stayed with me.

The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech. Everyone who has followed me on Twitter or friended me on Facebook knows I ADORE Sharon Creech!! However, this book is so good. I love how reading a book by Sharon Creech takes you on a journey...one that you hope never ends.

The Real Boy by Anne Ursu (If this book doesn't appear on a best-of-2013 list, I immediately discount the list) The writing in this book blew me away and I tweeted and Facebooked favorite quotes. Example, "There is a way the truth hits you, both hard & gentle at the same time. It punches you in the stomach as it puts its loving arm around your shoulder."

Bobby the Brave (Sometimes) by Lisa Yee. I related to a character in this book and Lisa's style is SO FUN!

I'm Bored by Ian Michael Black and illustrated by Debbie Ohi. Loved this!!

The Museum by Susan Verde and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. I read this book, right before it came out, to a group of first grade students. One girl exclaimed, "I don't just give it two thumbs up, I give it two thumbs and two whole feet."

Autumn Winifred Oliver Does Things Different by Kristin Tubb. I love Kristin...and I loved this book. The first book I read of hers was The Thirteenth Sign and just knew I had to read more.

The Saturday Boy by David Fleming. This was a surprise. Janet Reynolds from Blue Bunny Books knows me so well, she just sent me this book. I LOVED IT!!

Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo. I'd heard so much about this book...it lives up to the hype.

Baby Penguins Everywhere by Melissa Guion. What could be cuter than a book about penguins?? I really cute story to go along with the penguins!!

The Smallest Gift of Christmas by Peter H. Reynolds. I had the opportunity to read this last summer and actually hear about it the summer before that. I love Peter and I love this book!!


Little Chicken's Big Christmas
 by Katie Davis and Jerry Davis Kindle Book. Katie told me in September that this book might be happening, I was SO excited. I love Little Chicken!



Update:

Journey by Aaron Becker. I wordless picture book told in breathtaking art.

The Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman. How could I have forgotten a tale encouraging kids to #BeBrave??

Update #2

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers. It's a really fun book and really creative...and you know how much I love creativity!!


No comments: