Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Story on the 'Doggy Box'

Friday night, my wife and I went out to eat at a local establishment. The waitress was phenomenal, a rarity these days, and when we could eat all of our meals, she decorated our take-away boxes. On my wife's box, she drew a ribbon. On mine she told the story of the armless man who was chased by bees. I was so impressed by her story, I animated it and it appears below.

The waitress explained that she loved drawing, but she had to be a waitress to 'pay the bills.' A very sad story, but I was impressed how she could bring a little of her real passion into her job. So the lesson for me is that even if you are not doing exactly what you dreamed you would be doing, keep dreaming and find ways for your passion to shine through what you are doing until that big dream comes true.


Speaking of storytelling, Peter H. Reynolds has a great idea for getting your stories out on his blog today http://stellarcafe.blogspot.com/


The original puppy on the box--


Animation made with Animation-Ish, of course.

4 comments:

Maribeth Bush said...

Terry, nice job illustrating the waitress's "bee" story!

As far as the waitress's OWN story goes - the only sad part about it is that she sees it as an "either/or" thing - that she has to either draw, or be a waitress ("pay the bills")... but not both. Clearly she's both an artist AND a waitress. There's so much more, and so much further, she could go with her art... while still working as a waitress to pay her bills.

This all reminds me of the professor who taught the career counseling course when I was in grad school - he thought people shouldn't see only their job (i.e. paying jobs) as their "career" - but should see their LIFE as a career... everything one does in a 24 hour day, and a seven day week... and in doing so, we can usually do what we love as a "career," even if it's not the job we do to pay our bills.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this story - both the one you animated, and the waitress's story. It's a great reminder!

Maribeth Bush said...

Ooops! I meant to say, nice job ANIMATING the waitress's "bee" story!

TJ Shay said...

Maribeth,

Thanks for reading and commenting. Loved the idea that your life is your career. Really makes a person think. When I have a bad day at school, I will say, "it's a job and it pays the bills." It helps me to keep things in perspective. My life is not my job. I always try to make a positive impact on the kids at my school....That is my career.

It's sometimes the adults that make it a job. So, if I can separate my mission from my job, all is good.

I don't think I worded the part about being sad for the waitress very well. I am truly amazed that she is able to exercise her passion (through drawing on Styrofoam boxes. The sad part is that I don't think she noticed that she was living her dream in little pieces.
Her job is waitress....her career is artist.

Maribeth Bush said...

Terry, sounds like we're very much on the same page, then!

Great thoughts about keeping focused on what your mission is, to get through those rough times at work... and looking at parts of your "job" that fulfill your mission as your "career." And keeping focused on our mission = continuing to follow our "North Stars"! Reminds me of a favorite poem by Helen Hayes:

"Yes, I have doubted,
I have wandered off the path...
But I always return,
It is intuitive...
an intrinsic, built-in sense of
direction.
I seem to always find my way home.
My faith has wavered,
but has saved me."

I know this poem could be interpreted a number of ways (as is true with most poems, and art), and could even been perceived as having a religious meaning, but for me, this poem has always been about following my "North Star" - and how, even if I might wander and find myself "off the path" (that is, off MY path), it's my passion, my mission (= my "North Star), that always guides me back to where I need to be - and what I love to do.