Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Journey Begins...



Unless you are new to this blog, you know I am a huge fan of Peter H. Reynolds and all things FableVision... I must admit that my attitude this year has not been great because of scheduling issues, but five things that happened today helped to get me ready for the new school year journey to start tomorrow....

#1 - I got a message from Peter Reynolds recommending a video for me to watch. It was a great video that featured animation and it was great that he shared it. Beyond that, hearing from him reminded me of my time with the Fable group this summer, which I have talked about often...and in the middle of a very stressful day, I smiled. Thinking of FableVision reminded me to leave the struggles of the beginning of this school year behind and focus on what matters.....And what really matters comes bounding in the door tomorrow morning at 8:15 a.m.

#2 - At one of the darker moments of the day, I received an encouraging text message from my special Plurk friend I spoke of two days ago. Wow, that is one amazing person!

#3 - I hosted a viewing of "Wings of Epoh" which is the story of a boy with Autism and a butterfly named, Epoh. It is a beautiful book and video illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds and written by Gerda Weissman Klein that should be required reading/viewing for teachers. A few teachers came to watch it with me. Even though I have read the book many times and watched the video a few times, it was different for me today. It is the story of hope....Today, it was MY story. I felt like it was speaking to me. Not because I have autism, but because it describes the boy being in a very dark place and then being brought out in to a beautiful world.

#4 - Late morning, I received a thoughtful voice mail from my beautiful wife. Just when I needed it!

#5 - During my night class this evening, I was fortunate to bring the amazing Dr. Peggy Healy Stearns into my class virtually. I was honored that she agreed to visit with my students. Sometimes when you meet someone, you know immediately that you have met a truly great person....that is the exact feeling I had the first time I met Peggy.

Tomorrow starts a new page of my teaching journey... I do not have every single thing ready, but my heart and mind are ready. I am now more focused on navigating my journey by watching my guiding stars.... the guiding and wonderful stars. Thank you to all who have made my life richer. I am one very lucky man!


Graphic from "The North Star" by Peter H. Reynolds. Read the story here!

6 comments:

Sherry Crofut said...

It is good that things came your way today to bring you from the darkness. You really just need students back through your doors. As to having nothing ready, I was once told that students don't care what you know until they know you care. That is all you have to have ready at this point. You have lots of friends who are here for you. And we look to you to help us on our journeys. Together, we will change the world! Have a great day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Guiding stars are critical to our journey in life. Those stars can be educational friends, global colleagues or just our precious families and all are guiding lights through the good times and bad!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder that we have a lot to be thankful for. "Count your blessings" - we all know the phrase, but how often do we actually count them (like you have done - coming up with a number).

loonyhiker said...

Now you make me want to find out more about the Wings of Epoh. Your posts really inspire me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your wisdom.

Dedra Stafford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dedra Stafford said...

I am sooo happy to read your blog!! Your heart and mind do sound ready! I hope you have a great day today!You have been in my thoughts this week with the difficult part of your Journey ahead. I know there is reason for this part of the journey for you, and I am excited to see you are over the mental hurdle. LOVE those kids, know you have a purpose, and follow your heart, YOU WILL GET THERE.