Friday, August 15, 2008

Quotes to start the year...

PI love a good motivational quote.... I thought it would be good to start the school year with some I have stumbled on that made me think!


"This is the time of year when school begins. . . and my thoughts turn to some very special people. The teachers who were such an important part of my life. I think of the way their special attention helped open the gates of learning. They gave so much of themselves. . . with patience and tenderness. And not all the knowledge was of the textbook variety. I also learned about life. Those caring teachers helped me blossom as an individual. . . and gave me a sense of self-worth that. . . even today. . . sees me through trying times. I can't imagine a more precious gift that one individual can give to another."
Unknown

4427
"[Kids] don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are."
Jim Henson (It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider)

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show_tag?name=teaching



“A college degree and a teaching certificate define a person as a teacher, but it takes hard work and dedication to be one.” Paul McClure

“A teacher’s constant task is to take a roomful of live wires and see to it that they’re grounded.” E.C. Mckenzie

http://www.brownielocks.com/teachingquotes.html

“A college degree and a teaching certificate define a person as a teacher, but it takes hard work and dedication to be one.” Paul McClure

“A teacher’s constant task is to take a roomful of live wires and see to it that they’re grounded.” E.C. Mckenzie
http://www.brownielocks.com/teachingquotes.html


"I was at a meeting recently when a colleague told a story of being in India, where an educator there asked her, somewhat skeptically, "In America, you test your students a lot, don't you?" She replied, "Well, indeed, the United States has a national policy that requires testing of all students in certain grades." The Indian educator said, "Here, when we want the elephant to grow, we feed the elephant. We don't weigh the elephant."
Source: www.edutopia.org/1814

3 comments:

kellywchris said...

I love the last quote!! It's so true. Great way to start the year. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I definitely will choose the last quote. It seems as if the education fraternity is obsessed with assessment, often at the expense of teaching. Please see a posting I did more than a year ago on this topice (http://www.khanya.co.za/blogs/index.php?entry=entry070628-110958).

It does not matter how much you weigh elephants or pigs of children's minds - it surely is what you feed tham that counts.

Anonymous said...

Many quotes I have collected here:
http://edhead.wikispaces.com/Quotes